Wedding Resource Guide
After hosting countless ceremonies, receptions and celebrations, we thought it prudent to share our recommendations!
Please note we have an exclusive caterer list that you must choose from for your event food needs.
Click here to view the list of preferred caters.
If you are hosting a wedding at The Cookery, we require a Day-Of Planner. In our experience, hiring a planner will make your special day much smoother and let you focus on your partner and guests.
Click here to view our list of preferred wedding planners.
Linens & Tableware
Since our grounds are such a unique setting with countless built-in decor facets, you can keep your decor investments as minimal as you'd like! Linens play a principle role in your event's look and feel, and we love colors that complement the natural browns, jet blacks, and purple-hued grey walls of our space.
Our polished concrete floor is not ideal for dancing, so if you are planning on having dancing at your event, we will need to install a dance floor for you.
Fortunately American Party Rentals has dance floors that fit beautifully in our space! Dance floors are available for rent in 3’ x 3’ and 4' x 4' squares so the size can easily be altered depending on your dancing needs.
Here is what a 15' x 15' dance floor looks like in the Front Room:
Recommended Florist and Event Design
Flowers add color and beauty to any event! We recommend the following local florists:
- Tre Bella: www.trebellaflorist.com
- Floral Demensions: www.floraldimensionsdurham.com
- Expressions of Love: www.expressionsofloveflorist.com
- Meristem Floral: www.meristemfloral.com
Since The Cookery has a unique style on it's own, you can dress up the grounds as much or as little as you would like! Arrangements in apothecary bottles give tables an eclectic flair, and mercury glass vases always complement the room well. Larger bouquets set in tall vases give the room added height and drama, and seasonal wreaths can hang from the mezzanine.
Remember that your florist can rent you tea lights, floating candles, lanterns and other non-floral items to complement any event, and can set up the room according to your layout preferences!
Planning on having a tent? We love these additions to enhance the tent decor!
- Lantern chandelier from Tre Bella Floral
- Ceremony Archway from Numious Steel, a local scuplture company that has custom and rental options for ceremony archways. They are a lovely addition to a patio ceremony!
- Floral backdrop (potted plants, or plants and flowers fixed to a folding screen)
- Farm & Filigree has lovely wine barrels that not only enhance the decor, but can also be used as cocktail tables.
Custom Chalk Artwork
Marika Wendelken is a local artist who transforms our stainless steel boards into beautiful pieces of artwork. Marika also creates seating charts, food station signage, and permanent signage and artwork for you to keep!
Vintage sofas, trunks, and vases are charming touches to an elegant but rustic event! Furniture and vases pictured below are from Farm & Filigree and Simply Put Vintage Rentals.
Other Local Vendors We Love
Most of the photos on this site are by photographers we highly recommend
Tap Snap: www.tapsnap.net TapSnap is not your average photo booth - connect your photos with your social media apps, have custom digital props, and more!
While a friend or family member can provide an iPod playlist over our A/V system, our system is unfortunately not great for dance parties - it does not get very loud because it is built for presentations and toasts. A DJ will pace your event and initiate transitions such as when it is time to eat, toasts, and time to dance, and can adjust the energy level and atmosphere based on the event's needs in real time.
- Kevin Holland: http://www.personalweddingsnc.com/
- Union Press and Paper: www.unionpressandpaper.com
- Marika Wendelken: www.marika-wendelken-callig.squarespace.com
- King's Daughters Inn (0.5 miles away): www.thekingsdaughtersinn.com
- The Durham Hotel (0.8 miles away): www.thedurham.com
- Durham Marriott City Center: (0.8 miles away): www.marriott.com
- 21c Museum Hotel (0.9 miles away): www.21cmuseumhotels.com/durham
- Aloft Durham Downtown (0.9 miles away): www.aloftdurhamdowntown.com
- The Washington Duke Inn & Golf Club (2.3 miles away): www.washingtondukeinn.com
Although we don't allow confetti, sparklers or bubbles at The Cookery, there are lots of fun and creative ways to have guests see you off!
- Glow sticks (our favorite!)
- Paper airplanes
- Flags and ribbon wands (Buy these on Etsy!)
- Bell ringing
Southern Bride and Groom
Pick up a paper copy around town, visit the SB&G website, and get on their mailing list. SB&G is a great resource for Triangle weddings!
Refer to our Step-by-Step Guide in order to prepare for your event, and make sure to check out our photo gallery for examples of various layouts, rentals and more!